In this article, I will guide you on setting up your computer to use the C++ language. If you are trying to do C++ programming, you first have to set up your computer’s environment according to it.
I am installing it on windows 10 but the process of installing the MinGW GCC/G++ compiler is the same for almost all machines.
MinGW – Minimalist GNU for Windows
MinGW compilers provide tickets to the functionality of the Microsoft C runtime and some language runtimes. MinGW is a Minimalist GNU for Windows for free.
A native Windows port of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC). This project is in the process of repositioning to osdn.net/projects/mingw.
MinGW is a native Windows port of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), with freely distributable import libraries and header files for building native Windows applications.
Download MinGW GCC/G++ Compiler
If you go through the mingw-w64.org website. After landing on the homepage see in your left-hand sidebar where search for downloads. After clicking on downloads you will be redirected to the second website sourceforge.net
Because MinGW files are hosted on the source forge website.
Then simply click on download which will give the mingw-get-setup.exe with a size of 86KB file.
Install MinGW GCC/G++ Compiler
The mingw-get-setup.exe is a simple installer file that will say you to do simple clicks for your requirement and your computer machine will be ready to use for C runtime( C++ Programming).
Follow these steps to install g++ on the machine –
- double click on the downloaded MinGW file and click next.
- now the directory selection where to install the MinGW, I will prefer using the default C:\MinGW folder and click continue.
- Then it will Download and Set up the MinGW installation manager as it will download some packages itself.
- wait until the download finishes, after completion of downloading click continue.
MinGW Installation Manager
Now tick mark on your preferred choices
Tick above 5 boxes and navigate installation > apply changes
now sit back it will install all these packages and will take some time to install.
when all mingw packages you have chosen are installed you will see a message
All changes were applied successfully. You may now close the dialogue.
Setting up the environment for C++
- Go to the C:\ directory and navigate to mingw folder and inside it open bin folder
- Copy path of mingw bin folder
- Right-click on this PC and click Advanced system setting > environment variables
- Inside the system variables click path and choose the below option edit
- Simply add the copied path to it. It’s done, click OK.
Checking if the mingw is installed or not
Open the command prompt and type g++ and hit enter
g++: fatal error: no input files
this means the g++ is installed but no input files.
Again in the command prompt type g++ –version and hit enter
C:\Users\Piotech INDIA>g++ –version
g++ (MinGW.org GCC-6.3.0-1) 6.3.0
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
After Installing MinGW
The next step after installing minGW for windows is to write code so we can do this with the below options
- You can write code inside a text document and manage or compile it using the windows command prompt. After writing code inside the text file save it as filename.cpp and after compiling you will get your filename.exe file.
That can be run/execute simply with windows
- Or you can use some IDEs to write code eg. Visual Studio Code
with IDEs and their various plugins you can write code easy as some functions are like tags autocomplete, variable suggestions, error showing with console
It’s done. Now your machine is ready to compile your c++ program and run it.